Today is Evan's 10th birthday. A milestone, indeed, and an opportunity for a mother to gush a bit.
Saturday night, we went took the kids to Cirque du Soleil, followed by dinner at Evan's favorite restaurant (Firehouse). It was a lovely spring evening. We were seated by the open garage door wall of the restaurant, so the kids took several turns around the block as we waited for our food. In between laps, Rose, Colette and I made a list of the 10 things we love most about Evan (sadly, Bill was home sick):
- His Justin Bieber hair and accompanying flip
- He's cool
- His laugh
- He runs super fast
- His hugs - light squeeze, fingers drumming, quickly withdrawn hands (I've suggested he'll need to work on this before he starts dating :-)
- He likes to play board games
- He's a pro at basketball and soccer
- His sense of humor
- His unique sense of fashion -- different patterns and logos at the same time
- He's handsome
For some reason this birthday has made me more reflective than others. I think it's because for the first time, I can more clearly see the kind of man he will be, as well as the little boy he once was, and I'm proud of both.
There are so many things I admire about Evan: he's kind, thoughtful, smart, loving, loyal, funny and determined. Yes, there are times he drives me crazy, but at the end of the day, he's a wonderful brother, son and friend.
The other day, he asked me if it hurt when he was born. Yes! But . . . that's a distant memory in a decade of joy.
Happy 10th Birthday, Evan!